General — TransplantLyfe

General

Health Insurance Understanding

TServoldTransplant Patient
October 12, 2023 in General

Does anyone else feel like they need a degree in accounting, statistics, and maybe witchcraft (kidding!!) to understand their insurance payments and hospital bills? Sheesh. Trying to figure out what was billed to just my insurance vs just my Medicare vs both and understand all the EOBs, and compare them to the bills and cross check everything is exhausting! I write down every time I have to call the billing office to request a resubmittal to insurance and then keep the EOB and keep the bill and cross check everything but I know I have paid out of pocket for services that should have gone to my insurance. It all makes my head spin. I know it needs to be done, but it is a lot to keep track of.

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• fern22Transplant Patient

Uhm yes.... I am starting to get a little stressed about insurance lately because ive had American Kidney Fund paying my health insurance premium but that ends at the new year so I will have to apply for medicaid and figure out the secondary insurance situation. It makes me so nervous making any changes to my health insurance.

October 15, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Fern22 I completely understand not gonna lie to u it is stressful very confusing and some what expensive. Unfortunately where I live there is just not enough help for TP patients. It is extremely frustrating. I wish u the best on your ins journey. Get w/your social worker, Financial coordinator to help you also your accountant might be helpful.

October 15, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

Thank you! I am getting way ahead of it, starting now, because I have until the new year to get it figured out. It causes so much stress. Thankfully have gotten in touch with the social worker and financial coordinator too!

October 17, 2023

Great, let me know how it goes, I just went to get on a Rx plan this is the time for me to update they have a lot more coverage for Kidney versus Liver. I ask them WHY!!! I told them TP patients do not have a choice to take meds it’s a do or die. She said I understand.. urr

October 17, 2023
  • ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient

I have great insurance for now. However, as a bored homebound, I have been searching different pharmas and other stuff items. Mark Cuban's Cost Plus Pharmacy has tacrolimus for $8.90. I have been over my out-of-pocket since February so I don 't really know if that is good or not. I will say that they are genuine and the link below has list of transplant meds. Hope this helps somebody. https://costplusdrugs.com/medications/categories/organ-transplant/

October 18, 2023

Good morning coach, thanks for the link, I know that I am updating my pharm ins this month also, I will never understand WHY TP patients med r not covered at lower cost. I am so frustrated w/the whole process. I am very fortunate right now that my TP team is helping me thru coupons. Best of luck to all on this journey.

October 18, 2023