Heart — TransplantLyfe

Heart

How to manage stress post heart transplant ?

maanasTransplant Patient
Updated May 21, 2021 in Heart

I have had my transplant 6 months ago. My life has changed for the good and I have started to work on my Ph.D. from 1-month post-transplant. I have been taking a lot of stress and my work has been suffering. My doctors have been telling me to reduce stress and no degree is worth more than my life and my professor has been telling me to take a break for a few months and come back. Does anyone have good suggestions on how to stress reduction in the long term, have a good career, and fulfilling a relationship.

1 - 4 of 4 Other Answers

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi! Maybe connect 1x1 and I can relate more but I have managed through two transplants and kept my career, got married and had a baby! Not all easy and my relationship is no longer strong or even existent - but I am happy and try to balance life :-)

March 2, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Wow! I’m 6 months post liver transplant and haven’t returned to work yet. I’ve started doing some online classes, and have found I just have to be really strategic about scheduling. If I have too much in a day, I get really overwhelmed. I work with a therapist, and I’ve found journaling, venting and processing my feelings has been key. Also for me what has really helped is having a morning routine, which includes meditation.

March 2, 2021
  • maanasTransplant Patient

i would definitely love to connect one to one sometime of possible

March 2, 2021
  • maanasTransplant Patient

Hey Aliem,

that's good to hear you are back to school. It looks like find an activity to vent out is important along with scheduling. I mean processing feelings are really difficult. i would love further discussion and I think these strategies will be helpful for all transplant patients in the group

March 2, 2021