General — TransplantLyfe

General

What is in your transplant “go bag”?

ChefAmandaTransplant Patient
April 2, 2021 in General

I am on the transplant list for a second heart and kidney and currently waiting outpatient. Every couple months I check and update my “go bag” for when I get the call. I’m curious what are some of your must haves in your “go bag”?

TransplantLyfe Favorite

• TaylorCTransplant Patient

I haven't made a full "go bag" as of yet, but I do have a small one for unexpected hospital stays. I found every time I have been in the hospital due to my liver (I am on the transplant list currently) I always make sure to have a couple pairs of ankle length PJ pants so they don't drag on the hospital floors if your up and walking.

April 2, 2021
  • Denise_RTransplant Patient

Hi @ChefAmanda! Ugh - packing a go bag is never fun. Here's what's in mine: Extra long charging cords (those plugs are never ever close by), several pairs of comfortable underwear, sweats or pajama pants (super partial to the Stars Above line at Target!), my own socks and slip on shoes (I liked that better than hospital socks), V-neck t-shirts (allowed me to wear my own clothes while still give space for all of the tubes and wires, etc.), ear buds of your preference, lip balm and lotion, the best dry shampoo you can get, moisturizer, your favorite self care items that make you feel like you. Ipad if you have one. Pad and paper for taking notes (or your notes app on your phone). Oh! and label your things with your name - when you move rooms, you want to make sure your stuff keeps up with you! I'm certain I'm forgetting something, but those are the basics. Do you pack anything more/different?

April 2, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

My go bag has now turned into my unexpected hospital bag. It has lots of the same stuff but a tip for transplant - you won’t need as much as you think you will. After my transplant I basically just wore their gowns and slept a lot. But I had phone charger, glasses, eye mask and ear plugs, wireless headphones, easy magazines or picture books (I couldn’t concentrate on actual words but sometimes I liked looking at pictures), my favourite essential oils, lotion, face cleansing wipes, travel toothbrush and toothpaste (or mouthwash), clean underwear (though honestly I didn’t wear those for days after my transplant. Too big of a hassle), xl sweatpants and baggy tee shirts (nothing too tight on my scar). And after surgery a wheat bag you can warm up in the microwave will be your best friend.

April 3, 2021

1 - 20 of 20 Other Answers

• SigEpSinfonian98Transplant Patient

I hadn't even given a thought to this. Following for tips!

April 2, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

That’s good although they never let me put on my own pjs only hospital gowns. I packed way too much but my best most used was my phone charger, extra reading glasses if you use them and lotions. I took books, magazines, make up all my daily needs but you really don’t have time for much of that. Prayers you get your call soon!!!

April 2, 2021
  • TaylorCTransplant Patient

I guess headphones might be a good thing too! I'm from winnipeg, and the hospital I was at for over 2 weeks when I initially got sick never had headphones in the gift store lol so those are a must for me now. Same with ear plugs. Thank you!!! @Deb

April 2, 2021
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

@ChefAmanda, what is in your bag? I am also on the list, only for 4 months now, so I am (honestly) not expecting a call too soon, but I hadn't considered a bag at all. Truthfully, I also did not pack a go back for labor and delivery when I was pregnant either though :) I was admitted at the beginning of my third trimester, for pre-eclampsia, and I will never, ever, forget the sound of my mother-in-law blow drying my underwear, after I washed them while I was in the shower, because I didn't have another pair to put on with me! I should probably plan a little better.

April 2, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@TServold @Denise_R I have similar items. Comfy pajama pants, longer charger cords, lotions, chapstick, headphones and extra pair of glasses. I also bring my iPad to read books and watch movies.

I was 15 years old when I received my first heart transplant and I had lots of coloring books and board games in that go bag.

April 2, 2021
  • Denise_RTransplant Patient

I actually didn't think of an extra pair of glasses!

April 2, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi Amanda!

I had a carefully packed bag and the flight schedule laminated :-)

my bag included comfortable clothes and underwear, socks and slippers - I remember buying a juicy couture set for TG e occasion! I also had soft shoes and toiletries. Sweats were a focus and lots of tops w zippers since I imagined it being hard w the Iv and other stuff!

i also brought electronics support such as chargers and my iPad for reading and glasses since contacts were not recommended at first. I also packed pictures of my loved ones - framed so I could see them and a cashmere blanket to keep me warm!

April 3, 2021

@Karin I also pack tops that zip or button up so it’s easier to change with IV’s.

I love the idea of framed photos of loved ones. That such a nice touch.

April 3, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

My dear friend made me a “happy book”. It was full of photos of family and friends that made me smile and have happy thoughts. One of my most treasured gifts. My nurses even enjoyed looking at my pictures and hearing the stories behind them.

April 4, 2021

@Deb Oh wow! What a sweet gift.

April 4, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Deb i love that idea! Anything you can look at it and remember why you’re doing this when things get hard, and to remind you of the positive. My therapist had me pick a talisman or something I could look at and be reminded of my strength.

April 4, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I have my little hospital stay bag always ready. I have underwear, phone chargers with long cords, socks flip flops and zip hoodie. And then I always take my Kindle with me. I love reading books but when I have IVs and such my arms tend to get tired from holding an actual book. The Kindle is small and lightweight so it is comfortable to hold. The hospital that I go to is very picky about what you bring in. Especially blankets because it all needs to be sterile before going into your room. Otherwise, I would have loved to bring a blanket.

April 14, 2021

@Jeanmarie I would love to bring a blanket too but my hospital doesn’t allow it either. The hospital blankets are so itchy.

April 14, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

They are so itchy! The only thing they have going for them is when they bring them in all warm! That is only thing I look forward to is warm blankets and my meals brought to me. Haha.

April 14, 2021
  • Care_massTransplant Patient

My Hosptial bag has mostly the same things. Lots of hair ties and comfy headbands. I don't normally wear them but in those dog days where hair gets in the way, it's a great option. This time I'm packing a pillowcase as well don't know if I'll be allowed to use it, but my precious stays I would get sweaty from the plastic pillow and end up with breakouts!

Also, snacks :) Melba toast, bear paws, juice boxes. In case nurses are busy

April 21, 2021

@Care_mass Oh those plastic pills are horrible. I wish they would allow better pillows. I always bring snacks and juice too.

April 21, 2021
  • Howanitz39Transplant Patient

I did not pack a to go bag I thought I would be on the list a long time. WhenI got the call I ran around the house like a mad person and it is not easy when you are shaking because you are both nervous and excited. I live a hour and half away from my transplant hospital and I live with my parents. Because of how far I live I had to stay by the hospital for a month. I do suggest that if you have to stay by your hospital check out the places you might stay at to see if they have a kitchenette ours only had a very small refrigerator and microwave and my mom had to go out to by bowls and plates and plastic utensils, I did bring my own shampoo and shower gel for the hotel because I did not know how long they were in the shower and I know those things get moldy. My father would go back home during the weekend to get any thing we forgot. I do suggest that you clean out your refrigerator and your bread drawer and make sure you get your garbage out if you have to be there for a long time. Good luck to everyone on your journey of transplant life.

May 21, 2021