General — TransplantLyfe

General

Medical alert

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
March 29, 2021 in General

Where do you all get your medical alert bracelets from? I’m struggling to find something I love.

also what does yours say?

1 - 30 of 32 Replies

• DebTransplant Patient

I don’t have one but would love to hear myself what everyone says about this. Great question.

March 29, 2021
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I wear a RoadID. It is not glamorous AT ALL, but functional. Right now, it just lists my Type 1 Diabetes, insulin pump, and Celiac Sprue. I suppose I should add CKD. Also curious what other have for after transplant.

March 29, 2021
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

I don’t have a medical alert bracelet, but I have a MyID and love it.

you can buy a variety of styles and also add-ons for smart watches.

I love that it connects with your health apps and you can set your phone home screen with the QR code to your medical info. It’s much easier to update meds this way!

*this is an affiliate link so I do get a small kickback if you purchase thru my link. Helps pay medical bills! 🥰

March 29, 2021
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

I also have a Road ID! I have just the bracelet right now, but you can get one for your shoe laces or even your fitness tracker. I defiantly like how you can switch out your bands and it’s water proof. I have the city I live in, my moms number, my transplant hospital paging number, allergies, and that I had a liver transplant all on my ID. I never leave home without it on

March 30, 2021
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

I love this! I have lymphedema and I need to wear one as well. Always wanted a cute one lol

March 30, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Yes! Thank you for sharing. I been looking for one myself.

March 31, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

This is awesome! I will definitely use your link to get one! Thank you for sharing!

April 14, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I just ordered one from Lauren’s hope. It’s super simple, which I wanted, but they have a lot of trendy ones there too. I’ll post a pic of mine when it comes in

April 14, 2021
  • Care_massTransplant Patient

I have been super curious about both these companies! Good to hear there are better and reliable options other than medic alert, which I find can be...a little much :)

April 21, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

So this is my bracelet from Lauren’s hope. Fits perfectly. I was a bit hesitant about the size of the actual ID but I love it. Not only do I feel confident wearing it, it’s also pretty and I can dress it up or down

April 21, 2021
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

Let me know when you order and which one you choose!

April 21, 2021
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 I had the same one as you! But then prednisone weight gain happened and I had to get a new chain - went with a stretchy beaded one this time around so I hopefully don't have the same problem :)

April 23, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I had another one and then the huge weight fluctuations with prednisone stretched it out so when my wrists shrunk and I stopped prednisone I couldn't get it to go small enough! I love this one though, fits super snug on my wrist and most of the time I forget its even there. Now let's just hope I can stay off prednisone so I don't need a new one any time soon!

April 26, 2021
  • Howanitz39Transplant Patient

I got mine from Divoti on Amazon for$41.00 and that includes shipping they also do free engraving. You can pick the color of the symbol for medical alert. I was told by my transplant team to put what kind of transplant I had and their number I also put my parents number. I do like mine.

May 15, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I have never had one and probably won’t get one anytime soon - makes me feel sick and reminds me of my issues - am I wrong to think this way??

May 17, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin i feel the opposite! It makes me feel in control. I am sick, that’s the reality. I can either pretend it’s not or I can own it and find freedom in it. That’s what I’ve chose to do. I honestly never even notice mine anymore. It looks like regular jewelry (which I wear a lot of anyway) and I know it has the potential to save my life should I need it. I use it like “yep, I got a liver transplant. I’m awesome. Look at me!” Owning it. I am sick, and I love that about me. And it’s also not the entirety of who I am. Hence I got mine in my favourite color and wear it with my other favourite gems

May 17, 2021
  • TinaBaliveTransplant Patient

I had a medic alert bracelet that was made of stainless steel. I hated the look of it!

So I had my very own one made with a disk shape I liked & links I loved! The jeweler engraved the emblem on the front and my exact info on the back.

Hope this helps you in your quest😘

May 27, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@TinaBalive i love that! I find customizing it and making it fit my style made it so much easier for me to love. Also I like mine because it stays on and I never have to worry about taking it off or remembering to put it back on

May 28, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 great comment - being in control helps w everything! I just don’t want the discussion to be about my disease or issue - rather about something else - w the alert - I catch the attention more easily?

May 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin some are definitely bigger and flashier than others 😂 I don’t think mine has ever got special attention. Like a few people mentioned, mine is customized and it just looks like a normal bracelet, especially when I wear it as part of a stack. The symbol part is usually not super visible because of the kind of wrap bracelet I have it on, and you wouldn’t really notice it unless you were looking.

i also don’t mind talking about my illness and raising awareness. It’s my job, if you follow me on any social media I talk about it frequently. And I feel comfortable with it to the point that if I don’t want to talk about it in public I’ll say so.

May 31, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I am pretty public about my disease as well - if you follow lyfebulb and me you would see that. I am just raising the notion that it may not be easy for everyone to share as jewelry vs in a controlled message or post...

May 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin I’ve just never heard that experience. I’ve always heard the benefits, just making it mine and styling it how I want and owning it. I don’t even think of it now so the idea of not wearing one is new to wrap my mind around!

May 31, 2021

I agree Karin. At times I find it an exhausting subject. I do not want to be reminded of it constantly. My body does a great enough job on its own reminding me, haha. I like to talk about all of the other things that I enjoy that make me who I am. Hiking, photography etc. Don't get me wrong I love the advocacy and bringing awareness but I also desire the normalcy that everyone else has.

May 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Jeanmarie its so interesting (weird? Cool?) to hear other perspectives. I have a totally different perspective and never would have even thought about it that way

May 31, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@Jeanmarie yes!! Why dwell on things that don’t make you feel good / the only thing I want to think about when it comes to my disease(s), is how to make it go away or at least make it better!

May 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin @Jeanmarie i wonder if this is one of those things that is different depending on when you got sick? I’ve been sick my entire life. I always knew my illness wasn’t going away, and I never knew life not sick. Embracing my whole self including my illness has always been the key for me to living a life focused on getting better. And i also always had external medical devices so maybe that makes a difference? I had feeding tubes and constant monitors so a bracelet was never a big deal. People always knew anyway. I just became more vocal and fabulous for it. If people were going to look at me I’d give them a reason to. Too glam to give a damn 😂

May 31, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 you make a great point! I do think the tone of diagnosis makes a huge difference - mine was at the worst possible time at 16, when I was not yet an adult, but no longer a child - I would as soon angry and embarrassed and that clearly affected me going fwd!

June 1, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I like @AliEm14 have been sick my whole life. I honestly don’t know anything else. When I was younger I wore a medical alert bracelet and necklace. Once I finished college I stopped wearing them. I was tired of explaining why I was wearing them. @Karin @Jeanmarie

June 1, 2021

The age of diagnosis could make a difference. I was 16 and I suddenly could not keep up in High School sports. I had to give up being on the swim team, water polo team. I had perfect attendance and I started missing classes for doctor appointments and labs.

Being a teenager I was not happy with the sudden changes in my life. It took years to learn to adapt mentally to being sick.

June 1, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

It’s so interesting hearing other perspectives. I do think that was one of the good things about being born sick as opposed to being diagnosed later is it was my normal. And while I was diagnosed with other things in my teen years, I had the tools and understanding to grieve and adapt so it didn’t shake my whole life.

I got a new medical alert bracelet post transplant and I wanted it there to remind me of how strong I am and what I’ve overcome. It’s like a badge of honour for me.

June 1, 2021