General — TransplantLyfe

General

I'm curious!

Denise_RTransplant Patient
June 9, 2021 in General

Hi All!

So, I'm curious about how y'all are feeling at this stage of Covid. With the states reopening fairly quickly (depending on where you are), and friends and family getting back to "normal" life, either vaccinated or not, mask restrictions are going away or have gone away, what is known so far about the efficacy of the vaccine on transplant patients, how are you feeling? Are you feeling ready to get back out there? Hesitant? Do you feel better or worse than this time last year?

For me, I have mixed feelings about it all. There are parts of this period that I find to be harder as I have good friends that are opposed to this vaccine and won't be getting it any time soon. They know that means that they are putting those who are immunosuppressed at risk, but are prioritizing other things.

Curious about how all of you are feeling, what decisions you're making about getting back out there, etc.

Looking forward to the conversation!

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

pretty much all my close contacts are vaccinated so that helps. And I work from home which means I can limit my exposure quite a bit. I’ll probably slowly start venturing out more but for sure still wearing my mask. I’m a bit nervous but I do feel pretty good about my position which is more than I can say about any other stage of this pandemic

June 9, 2021
  • Denise_RTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 Love this! It's what I'm doing too, working on all the intelligent choices! I won't live in fear, but I will live aware

June 9, 2021
  • GeraldWaymanTransplant Patient

My last kidney transplant was in June 2019. I had covid19 in February 2021. My transplant doctors gave me a antibiotic infusion the day after I tested positive for co19 and I only had mild symptoms for 3 days then recovered fine. My father passed away last February and co19 was unknowing exposed to us all at his funeral. Everyone at the funeral wore masks strictly and practiced social distancing. Even so, 3/4 of my family, 21 people, were positive within 3 days, the other 7 people never became positive. None of us that were positive had anything more than flue like symptoms for more than 5 days. I also got vaccinated in March 2021, I was minorly sick for one day after the second dose.

My personal feelings about co19 are "be careful but live your life!"

Taking precautions and being careful is good common sense, but we still have lives to live. I have no question that the media has blown co19 way out of proportion, politicians and so called expert's have NOT been truthful and created the pandemic for their own purposes. When did you last hear a report telling how many people have recovered from co19? I live in central Utah and thankfully our community has stayed open, schools, stores, business and government offices all stayed open. We kept life as normal as possible and we have survived just fine.

As a transplant patient you know how special life is. It is wonderful, live it, enjoy it, celebrate it. Even if you have to ware a mask.

I hope this has been helpful in some way, God bless you!

June 9, 2021

@GeraldWayman Thank you! When I said I was curious, I meant it! I don't intend to live in fear, just aware and was wondering how others were tackling it all! Every state handled it so differently. My state was closed until just recently. I've got a family funeral coming up too - everyone going is fully vaccinated so I feel pretty good about it. Life is too precious to not live it or to make unwise choices.

June 9, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I live in Texas where everything is open and mask are not required. So I’m taking precautions but also making sure I still live my life. For me it’s all about finding balance and what works for me.

June 15, 2021

@ChefAmanda - Exactly! Finding your own balance is what this life is all about!

June 15, 2021