General — TransplantLyfe

General

What do you not do?

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
September 15, 2021 in General

I was inspired by Sonia's post on taking care of yourself. It reminded me of an article I read once by Shauna Niequist about the things she doesn't do. Like she doesn't garden because it's not her thing and rather than keep up appearances and pretend to like it, she'd rather spend time with her kids and devote her energy to herself and her people. So I'm curious - what do you not to in the name of self care?

Me? I don't make my bed. I just don't. It's too much energy right in the morning and I'm usually back in it for an afternoon nap anyway so I just don't. If I'm cleaning I focus on main rooms, not rooms with doors. Also all my plants are fake. All of them. I love plants, hate taking care of them, so they're all plastic and I never have to water them and they always stay green.

Tagged:

1 - 14 of 14 Replies

• BrucePTransplant Patient

I've never looked at it that way. To stay healthy, I work puzzles, write and run 5k's. Ive been running since my heart transplant 12 years ago.

September 15, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

wow! I've never been able to get into running, or puzzles! I've always wanted to get into it but i definitely lean to strength training over cardio

September 16, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I like this idea of self-care by NOT doing something...

I don't dwell on my physical limitations - I rather do something against my drs recommendations just to feel "normal". this may be the opposite of self-care, rather labeled as self-destruction, but I do think it has saved me from become depressed over the years!

September 16, 2021

Well, everyone has to do what they feel is the right thing for them. For me, running works off stress and fills my body with fresh oxygen. When I go in for my annual apt, the medical people are amazed as to how well I hold up on the treadmill. So I know this is keeping me healthy. I'm very grateful I found this.

September 16, 2021
  • TaylorCTransplant Patient

I dont rely solely on social media, or the media in general. I also don't not have ice-cream in my house at all times lol.

September 16, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin i love that! I think we need that normalcy. Everything has a risk, it’s just about which risk we’re willing to take. I was just talking to a social worker about that this morning. I do things to keep me safe and follow the guidelines but sometimes you do just have to take chances and live your life. You didn’t come this far to live in a bubble!

September 17, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@TaylorC yes to ice cream! I’ve become a huge ice cream person since my transplant, and chocolate! Not always the best with my lack of a gallbladder but sometimes it’s worth it

September 17, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I honestly don’t like running. I never been a runner and I don’t find the joy in it as others do. I have found other ways to exercise and try to stay healthy. But I don’t pretend that I enjoy a good 5K.

September 22, 2021

Speed walking and running are so important for me. It pumps oxygen into every part of my body. But that is super great you have other ways of getting it done. Great! Congrats!

September 22, 2021

@ChefAmanda I don't know why I didn't think of that one, I hate running, the thought of it exhausts me lol

September 23, 2021

@AliEm14 what's your go to flavor of ice cream ?

Chocolate also wasn't something I was warned about post transplant! Just grapefruit and pomegranate. Is it not the greatest for you with a transplant?

September 23, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@TaylorC its not actually my transplant that affects it - it has to do with having my gallbladder removed and my pre existing conditions. It just gives me an upset stomach - which is a price I’m willing to pay most days.

also I’ve heard a few transplant people say no pomegranate but I was never warned about it. I’ve also had pomegranate since transplant and my labs have come back fine. Maybe it has to do with what meds you’re on? I do no grapefruit though

September 23, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@TaylorC @AliEm14 I think no pomegranate is for people on Prograf but I could be wrong.

September 24, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda oh that would make sense. They took me off prograf a while ago

September 24, 2021