Care Partner — TransplantLyfe

Care Partner

How do you take care of you?

Piney1147Care Partner
September 11, 2021 in Care Partner

I am a Care Partner and love my role and responsibility. Taking care of my daughter is my privilege and honor but I think I am lacking in taking care of me.

I was wondering if my fellow Care Partners could share how they take care of themselves.

Sharing is caring.

Sonia

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I love this, Sonia! I've been both the patient and the care partner, and for me one of the big things is realizing self care isn't all feel good things. Sometimes its saying no, or holding boundaries so I can fill my own energy tank. Sometimes it's making sure I eat healthy foods, or get fresh air because I know i need it. I'm a huge believer in cancelling plans, and taking breaks. I come first, my people come second, that's it. No one else gets access to me. Self care looks a lot like the things I don't do more than the things I do. I do love a good bubble bath though

September 15, 2021
  • BrucePTransplant Patient

Being a guy, I've never really given much thought to self-care. I had a heart transplant 12 years ago. A year later, my wife needed to have a large brain tumor removed. So I went from patient to as much of a care taker as possible. (I wouldn't have wanted it any other way because I love this woman.)

A couple years later my daughter needed a second heart transplant. (I love this woman too.) By that time my wife was able to pitch in and help. Last year our youngest son needed a heart transplant. So that's kind of the way things have been. Anyway, I will have to give self-care some thought and see where or if I need to fit that in somewhere.

September 22, 2021
  • Piney1147Care Partner

What an amazing reply. You are truly a blessed family and it's a please to meet you.

September 22, 2021
    September 22, 2021
  • Philipjones17Transplant Patient

This is very similar to a question i want to ask but the discussion create form wont come up.. but i want to ask all caretakers and supporters if we as patients go to you for help who do you go to for help

March 24, 2023