Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

3 years on Dialysis

ChefAmandaTransplant Patient
October 26, 2021 in Kidney

3 and a half hours… 3 days a week for 33 months.. How many hours is that?

This is my dialysis catheter that I have been keeping safe and clean for just about 3 years

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• AnnMarieCare Partner

I hate the reason for this post but I love the power in it💙

October 26, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient
  • Howanitz39Transplant Patient

Can I ask how are you still on a vast cath for 3 years? I was always told that I could not have one for a long time because it could cause a bad infection so my dialysis team wanted me to get my fistula right away. I did my dialysis for 4 hours a day 4 days a week . It's funny they had juat told me on Monday January 26 2121 that I would not be getting treatment on Saturday anymore and I got my call on that Wednesday to go to the hospital for my transplant.

October 29, 2021

Congratulations on getting your transplant! Dialysis centers always push for fistula because they get in trouble if a cath gets infected. As for me… I need a heart and kidney. If I was to get a fistula it would be too much stress on my heart because of my condition so I been VERY careful with my cath.

October 29, 2021
  • AklowakTransplant Patient

I just had my one year anniversary on dialysis- I was only on Hemo for 6 months now I do PD - i was thinking just last night i wonder how many hours I have given up to this treatment..

November 17, 2021

@Aklowak It’s a lot more then people realize.

November 17, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I am so sorry @ChefAmanda - dialysis is not what anyone deserves / no one should have to go through it / I sincerely hope and part for you to get a kidney soon!!!

November 21, 2021
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin - I completely agree with you. Pre-emptive transplantation is the best case scenario, perhaps through a #livingdonor even. Those who can't avoid/escape dialysis, should actively search for a compatible donor , if at all possible.

January 21, 2022