General — TransplantLyfe

General

How do you stay grounded?

LilmesicanOther
February 14, 2022 in General

When meditation isn't possible how do you stay grounded?

Tagged:

TransplantLyfe Favorite

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Lilmesican i love it! Cold water exposure actually helps modify the body’s stress response, which has been huge in helping me deal with medical stress. It also raises your dopamine levels 250%, and I’m a thrill seeker to begin with so I’ll definitely jump in cold water for a dopamine hit. it’s helped me with things like nerve pain and regulating my body post transplant. the idea if short bursts of cold exposure followed by warming yourself back up, so you don’t tax the nervous system too much. Depending on different factors warming myself back up can be a bit of a challenge. So adequate preparation and having a safety plan is always key.

February 14, 2022

1 - 13 of 13 Other Answers

• BrucePTransplant Patient

Hey Lilmesican, I've been able to stay grounded through prayer. I was notified that donor heart was available for me during the middle of a Sunday Mass. I had done a lot of praying up to that moment and was only about three weeks away from dying when the call came.

February 14, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I love this question! For me breathwork and meditation are my most used tool. I also do morning pages, or journaling every morning. Spending time outside helps. And my newest grounding technique is cold exposure or cold water immersion.

February 14, 2022
  • LilmesicanOther

Beautiful is the power of prayer and manifestation.

How's it going now?

February 14, 2022
  • LilmesicanOther

Beautiful is the power of prayer and manifestation.

How's it going now?

February 14, 2022
  • LilmesicanOther

All great tools. I just saw a report on cold water immersion.

How's that going?

Pros/Cons???

February 14, 2022

It's been more than twelve an d a half years since my heart transplant. I haven't had any rejection and my health overall has been very good. A year after my transplant, I began running 5k races. I did very well, considering my age and never having run a race in my life. I'm currently writing a book about transplantation. We've had four heart transplants and removal of a large brain tumor in our family. My gratitude to God is unending.

February 14, 2022
  • LilmesicanOther

That's so cool. Writing a book for others to learn about your story.

When you do, please come on my live stream and let me interview you!

February 14, 2022

Lilmesican,

Working on my book now. When I'm finished, I'll let you know.

Bruce

February 15, 2022
  • My go-to is between a couple of different things, one being prayer which keeps me spiritually sane and connected, along those lines I also aim for daily Bible reading which helps to convict me and honestly lets me know that I'm human. And finally in the form of my body over my spirit I like to go to the gym and get a workout in, helps me to clear my mind, and acts as a refresher of sorts

February 15, 2022

Hey Jacob, that's also my go to exactly. Thanks for sharing.

February 15, 2022
  • StephenCFTransplant Patient

Cycling, reading old classic novels, researching astronomy and spending way too much analyzing the simulation hypothesis all help me keep me grounded.

If I'm in a funk, the dopamine/endorphin release from cycling definitely improves my head space.

If I feel stuck and in intractable situations I'll open up some classic novels that can transport me to a different era, where the problems weren't all that different.

If the walls are closing in, I'll fire up some astronomy courses to help put things in perspective.

And of course, if it's been a really bad day/week/month I'll re-read some of the simulation hypothesis arguments and say to myself, none of this is real anyway! Haha.

February 16, 2022
  • AILazarusTransplant Patient

post 12 1/2 these days I just try and keep bust. Work part time and volunteer.

Covid homebound was definitely the worst.

May 4, 2022