General โ€” TransplantLyfe

General

What helped you get back to your "old self" after transplant?

ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient
May 9, 2022 in General

Hi all. I was having a great conversation with Karin today and I started wondering what helped you to feel like you had gotten back to your "old self" after your transplant?

For me, it was finally being able to go back to work as a speech-language pathologist. I'd been a stay-at-home mom for 10 years because of military moves, caring for our 4 kids, and my declining health.

I went back to work about a year after my transplant and it felt so good to feel like I was contributing in a bigger way in my life. Of course, being a wife and mom will always be my top priority (along with caring for my health), but it felt nice to start putting my work out into the world again.

I took time off to homeschool my 4 kids for the 2020-2021 school year due to the pandemic and to get certified as a life coach. I feel like this has helped me to again put my work out into the world, and it's helped me to be healthier too.

It definitely doesn't have to be work-related- but what do you think has helped you feel like your "old self" again?

1 - 9 of 9 Other Answers

• BobRTransplant Patient

Biggest things were staying physically active, hiring / working with a very good personal trainer, great people to work with @ MUSC, top quality kidney from a living donor, supportive family.

May 9, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Thanks for sharing @Shelbycreates It's good to hear about your journey๐Ÿ‘

Personally, I've accepted the fact that it'll always be a 'new normal' for me, a heart recipient.

That said, I have hope that I'll be able to do more & more as the days go by.

The key is to stay positive and be ๐Ÿ’ฏ compliant, as far as, doing everything that I'm supposed to be doing to prolong this second chance at life!

May 9, 2022
  • BrucePTransplant Patient

I had a heart transplant 12 1/2 years ago. Afterwards I began running. (I had never run in my life.) Then. I started 5 and 10 k's

May 9, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Wow! @BruceP That's awesome! Congratulations! ๐Ÿ‘

May 9, 2022
  • BrucePTransplant Patient

Far more important than exercise was prayer. I was within 3 weeks of dying and had many people praying for me. I was at Mass when word came that a donor heart had become available and I needed to get to the hospital. It was announced during Mass. I've been a Catholic all my life and never seen anything like this before. Now I'm in the process of writing a book.

May 10, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

In a general answer - nothing. The old self that existed was gone, the person who emerged after transplant was an entirely different person. My entire personality for 23 years had been being sick, and I didn't have that anymore.

But in more specifics: being able to wash my own hair, listening to music, returning to social media. As my recovery progressed it was getting outside, being able to decorate for the holidays, being surrounded by the people i cared about, creating art again.

I think I keep spiraling more into who I am. For me it was never about getting back anywhere, it was always about going forward into the next version of me

May 10, 2022
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

I think this is so important. Trying to get back into how you were is essential for your brain power but understanding that is the new version of you. And that is incredible part of YOU!

May 11, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

That is seriously amazing! I love that. Can't wait to read it.

May 11, 2022