General โ€” TransplantLyfe

General

Evusheld

RogerTransplant Patient
May 19, 2022 in General

Anyone have this treatment? Any negative side effects?

My transplant team has suggested I get the Evusheld treatment to have even more protection against Covid. I have been vaccinated 4 times including 2 boosters and I am scheduled to receive Evusheld tomorrow. It is supposed to really boost the antibodies in your system.

Tagged:

TransplantLyfe Favorite

1 - 27 of 27 Other Answers

• RogerTransplant Patient

Should have mentioned that I had my Kidney transplant 1 1/2 years ago.

May 19, 2022
  • PabloTransplant Patient

I think it is a great thing to do.My transplant team is offering it to all whose transplants have been within the past year. Not sure about 18 months - but what is there to lose?

May 19, 2022
  • Transplant314Transplant Patient

Did you get a high count of antibodies from your four vaccines?

May 19, 2022
  • LarryFTransplant Patient

7 1/2 years post heart transplant. I received the shots on May 13th and had no reactions. I was not even sore. I also had Covid Dec. 2021 and I was sick for 1 month, 2 weeks of in the hospital. I left using a walker. It took 2 months to gain my strength back. So I It was a no brainer when it was suggested. It was just hard locate how to get. We finally went through the health department and VNA. I live in Michigan and I hear most States regulate how it is given out. Good luck and trust your team.

May 19, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Roger - if it's been offerred by your care team, go for it! It's a preventative - it'll give you more protection ๐Ÿคž

What is Evusheld?

Evusheld is a combination of two medications given together: tixagevimab and cilgavimab. Both are monoclonal antibodies, which are lab-made proteins that act like antibodies made by your immune system to fight an infection. Evusheld is administered by two injections immediately given one after another. Based on clinical trial data, Evusheld is administered every six months to offer the most protection.

Good luck!

May 19, 2022
  • A_RayTransplant Patient

Masking, four jabs, and Evusheld. Doing all I can!

May 19, 2022
  • Smbh4206Transplant Patient

My kidney transplant was just over a year ago. Five days prior to transplant I had my first Covid shot. It was then suggested to wait 90 days post transplant before my second. After the second, I though that I was good, but that was when it was said that because of meds transplant recipients may not have sufficient immunity and needed a booster. Before I got my 3rd, I was tested for antibodies. I had none. When approved by EPA and CDC, I got my booster. Again I thought I was good. But, January 2022, I tested positive for Covid and ended up in the hospital for 26 days with breathing problems, pneumonia and a blood clot in my leg. I still have problems with my breathing, but it is manageable. The pulmonologist says it could take a year or 18 months for it to resolve. I have since gotten my second booster. With all of that said, my pulmonologist has set me up Evusheld infusions early in June. I have no idea where I stand with antibodies.

May 19, 2022
  • staylor1225Transplant Patient

Yes, I would highly recommend getting the Evusheld. I've been vaxed and boosted. I had my kidney transplant on June 4th last year. I was diagnosed with lymphoma (PTPD) in October. After treatments I am happy to say I am in remission now. So. When my cancer doc recommended Evusheld, I said ok. I will do whatever it takes to keep this kidney. It didn't hurt and I had no side effects.

May 19, 2022
  • PatTransplant Patient

Yes- I received Evusheld 3 months ago - I have been closely exposed to Covid twice since then without mask & have not contracted so far. ๐Ÿ•บDo not know if it was due to Evusheld - but it’s painless & no side affects ! Do it if they offer - hard to get - very short supply.

BTW I am a heart transplant with post transplant serious lung issues.

May 20, 2022
  • Mizzvi19Other

Had heart transplant 2019 and have had vaccines and two boosters. Joined a John Hopkins Study and they have been monitoring my antibodies. Didn’t have enough antibodies until after first booster but not very high. They dropped significantly after more labs so I got 2nd booster. Antibodies increased but not a lot. Waiting to get more labs next month.

In the meantime contacted transplant clinic and they said I can get the Evusheld.

I have not experienced any side effects from any of the vaccines.

May 20, 2022
  • MJK15Transplant Patient

I’m 7 years post kidney transplant. I had three doses of Pfizer vaccine last year. After the third dose, I was tested for antibodies. I was negative for antibodies. I had my 4th dose of Pfizer this February. I received Evusheld in March. I’m thankful for Evusheld giving me antibodies. I feel safer when out in public but I continue to wear a face mask, social distance, and go out in public during less crowded times.

May 20, 2022
  • StephenCFTransplant Patient

Yeah, 4 shots + evusheld for me. Nothing to write home about it regarding side effects but it was a pain in the butt for sure. ;)

May 20, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Congrats @MJK15 ! I too am 7 years post Transplant (Heart recipient).

So glad you're doing well & you've been able to move about, with protection from Evusheld + ๐Ÿ˜ท + other precautions! ๐Ÿ‘ Best wishes.

May 20, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Good to hear @Mizzvi19 ! Thank you for sharing. ๐Ÿ‘

Congrats on being blessed with a heart.

May 20, 2022
  • Mizzvi19Other

@Sdey0522 Thanks, looking forward to getting it scheduled.

May 20, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@StephenCF - ๐Ÿ˜†, I know what you mean. I didn't receive it, but I've heard so many speak about butts. Lol. ๐Ÿ˜‰

May 20, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Pat , my fellow heart recipient ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿฝ - I'm happy to hear you've escaped the COVID beast so far. Good that you've had the Evusheld shots too. That said, please consider ๐Ÿ˜ท up - good luck ๐Ÿ€๐Ÿคž

May 20, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Smbh4206 - sorry to hear about the challenges post Transplant & about your encounter with the Covid beast. ๐Ÿ˜” Thank you for sharing.

Glad your doc has scheduled you for Evusheld - good luck! ๐Ÿ‘

May 20, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@staylor1225 - great advice !

Love your attitude! The Gift of Life needs to be honored and protected & we need to protect ourselves & others too!

Best wishes on your transplant journey. ๐Ÿ‘

May 20, 2022
  • dziadusTransplant Patient

I am 10 weeks post transplant and was given Evusheld before I left the hospital. No problems.

May 20, 2022
  • KittyTransplant Patient

I got 2 evusheld shots back in February. No side effects. It's way better than the vaccinations. It was also explained to me that the vaccinations do not work well for us since we are on immunosuppressive meds. This does work! Very well :)

Also, if you Do get covid, go for the monoclonal antibodies. No side effects there too ;)

June 7, 2022
  • Mizzvi19Other

Do they have to put the injection in your hip?

June 8, 2022
  • dziadusTransplant Patient

That is where I received mine

June 8, 2022
  • Mizzvi19Other

Received the Evusheld shots this past week and the only side affect was a headache later in the evening. The two shots really weren’t bad. What I wasn’t aware of is that it only last from 3-6 months and that was news to me.

June 20, 2022
  • RogerTransplant Patient

I did receive the Evusheld and did not have any adverse reaction. I got a follow up call last week from the hospital I got it from and they said they would call back in 6 months to schedule an appointment for a second dose.

June 24, 2022