General — TransplantLyfe

General

Happy to be a part of the community

KDNYRNExpert
Medical Professional
June 13, 2022 in General

Good evening to all! My name is Brian Runge and have been working as a transplant coordinator with NewYork-Presbyterian Columbia for 13+ years. Before this I was an ICU nurse and did just so happen to take care of fresh liver, renal and pancreas recipients.

I was very excited to be asked to join this community and can't wait to help out in any way I can (presenting or just speaking with patients and donors). Please do not hesitate to reach out and ask me anything!

1 - 12 of 12 Replies

• AILazarusTransplant Patient

Maybe our paths crossed. transplanted at NYP/Columbia by Dr. Kato 12/28/10

June 14, 2022
  • KDNYRNExpert
    Medical Professional

They very well could have. I work with the kidney and pancreas department but we share the clinic space with liver transplant. Dr. Kato is still here going strong!

June 14, 2022
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

I am so happy you are here! Thank you for educating us from your perspective!

June 14, 2022
  • KittyTransplant Patient

Very cool!! Thank you so much for joining us ❤️ that is very giving of you :)

You're an angel 😇

June 14, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I love this, Brian! @KDNYRN

I'd love to hear more about your story, and how you got involved in both ICU nursing and transplant care.

I love the multifaceted approach of TransplantLyfe where patients, care partners and health care providers can all connect and learn from one another. I love my transplant coordinator, and when we can connect on levels that aren't just lab results or scientific data, I think it's so amazing.

June 14, 2022
  • Howanitz39Transplant Patient

Thank you for joining the transplant community on here I am a pancreas and kidney transplant recipient as of January 27th of 2021 and I am having trouble with my team it seems like they do not communicate with me much and I really don't know who to turn to.

June 21, 2022
  • KDNYRNExpert
    Medical Professional

Your transplant post nurse coordinator is your best friend! Try calling them.

June 21, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Yes! Coordinators are usually the first point of contact. That being said, they are usually also really busy! If you feel like your concerns aren't being addressed, don't be afraid to call back, or send more follow up emails. My coordinator does the best he can, but he's also only one human with so many patients! advocating for yourself is key

June 21, 2022

Thank you kdnyrn and aliem14 I have tried to talk to my nurse but have not talked to her since August and have three other nurses who will get back to me three days after I call them and I know that they are very busy and I am not their only patient but I think that they should tell me that they are having trouble getting my blood work report back so that they can change my Prograf and not wait till may to tell my that the last monthly draw was March even though I get them done monthly and call to tell them. I also was not told by my team that my kidney doctor was now in charge of my blood work and meds I found out from my pharmacy when I called my kidney Dr he had no idea about any of this. I am sorry this sounds like I am being a **** I do not mean it thank you for getting back to me with ideas.

June 21, 2022
  • KDNYRNExpert
    Medical Professional

Let me give you a tip, and you didn't hear this from me lol. Call the hospital's patient service department and tell them your concerns. You want to get a call back ASAP then that will light a fire under them. Trust me ;)

June 21, 2022

Thank you for the information I will call the mayo clinic on Monday so I can plan on what I want to say over the weekend 💚

June 23, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@KDNYRN - glad you're part of the community as an expert! Welcome!

@Howanitz39 - keep at it! Your motto should be, 'ask-until-you-get' (what you need / what you're looking for). 😉

[Transplant centers need to be responsive to their patients, with relevant communications - they're responsible! (at least within the 1st few years, post-transplant). Good luck to you!

June 23, 2022