Kidney β€” TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Kidney biopsy

Howanitz39Transplant Patient
July 9, 2022 in Kidney

I was a year post kidney and pancreas transplant January 27th . I had a kidney biopsy 4 months out and another one a year out and I will be getting one done next anniversary and one for three and four years anniversary. For both my four month and one year they showed everything was going great. Has anyone had to get so many biopsies done? I use to volunteer at a hospital where they did kidney biopsy I am not sure if they did transplant ones but when I was telling my nurses that I am friends with how many I have to get done they asked why if everything was good and why would my team want me to get something so invasive done .

TransplantLyfe Favorite

• Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

I can't speak so much about about biopsies, post kidney Tx - but, I've heard about some kidney recipients having more of them done with the firstv2 years. I'm sure there are readins why the team deems then necessary. Some centers are conservative and others may not be.

Being a heart recipient, I've had many many biopsies.

I do know there are some blood tests which can be pretty good indicators to predict rejection etc, although, I believe biopsies are still the 'gold standard'. Please check with the transplant team about the non-invasive blood tests etc - good option, if it's available!

Best of luck!

July 10, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm liver, 2 years out and I've had 3 biopsies (I think). I had a really complicated surgery, so when my labs show consistent or a sudden extreme variation of normal they like to biopsy me. I had mild rejection my first year, but that was then corrected and everything has been fine biopsy wise since.

I definitely feel like biopsies should be a last resort. They're invasive and not fun, plus the risks are more than with something like a scan. I told my team I won't get them done unless labs/scans have been done first without a really good reason. The benefit needs to outweigh the risks in my mind, and that needs to be communicated to me by my care team. I'm a little more vocal about not getting them done now than I was in the first year, and obviously if there was a concern I'd get one. This is where communication with your care team is so important. I'm sorry yours hasn't been great. I would demand answers before I went for any kind of invasive testing, such as a biopsy. Like Sam said, I would call a patient care advocate at the hospital, the hospital complaint line, another doctor. Don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion, or be annoying. Your health, including your mental health and your comfort with anything happening to you, come first. (Unless it's an emergent situation, but from the sounds of it it doesn't seem like it is currently)

July 11, 2022
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I've had my kidney 16 years. I've had 12 biopsies. I've had several rejection episodes over the years and they've caught them early because of the biopsies. Although they are not fun. They have saved me.

There are new blood tests that out now that can replace a biopsy. Its not as accurate , I don't think. But it could be an option. Something to ask the Transplant team about.

August 5, 2022

1 - 9 of 9 Other Answers

• Howanitz39Transplant Patient

Thank you Sdey0522 I think I already get the blood test done I am not sure. I think I am worried about the biopsies because I had alot of scaring on my old kidneys from my diabetes which could be a whole different kind of scars I do not know I just do not want anything to go wrong. Please do not get me wrong I will do anything I can to mack sure everything is OK. But for me to talk to my team they seem to have dropped me as a patient, the other day I called to ask them a question about my blood test they asked me if they ordered the test I said no but you always had me get it done it was a fasting blood sugar because I also had a pancreas transplant and my number was higher then it has been after the transplant they told me that if they did not order it then I need to talk to my kidney Dr. After I told them he was not a diabetic dr they Hong up on me😒

July 11, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Howanitz39 - I'm so sorry to hear that the response from your Transplant team was less than optimal. πŸ˜” How long ago was your transplant?

Don't hesitate to keep pestering them if you still need answers.

Also, no question is too small/petty to ask, especially when us patients are trying to be the best advocates for ourselves!

Good luck to you!

July 11, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Oopps...you had already mentioned, you received your Gift of Life in Jan 2021.

Given that you're a recent transplanted, I'm even more appalled at their level of care/response. You could consider raising the matter/issue with the Patient Care Advocates at the hospital (and/or other responsible administrators who can may be able to improve this situation for you.

July 11, 2022

Thank you guys I will talk to someone about all the biopsies. I will definitely talk to someone about me feeling like I do not matter to them anymore the worse thing is it is not a small city hospital it is the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida. I was told that I will still need to see my kidney doctor after the surgery but they made me think I would always have them to help me.

July 11, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

please let us know how you made out. Good luck!

July 18, 2022

Thank you I will let you know πŸ’š

July 19, 2022