General โ€” TransplantLyfe

General

Learning and Growing

ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient
September 5, 2022 in General

I'm just curious. What is the biggest thing that you have learned about life, people, or yourself through your transplant process?

I'll leave mine in the comments.

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I think one of my main takeaways has been just how incredible our bodies are. They are so fragile and so strong at the same time. I'm in complete awe of the human body--it's something that's so easy to take for granted.

September 5, 2022
  • stwbearTransplant Patient

I've learned to never take life for granted and enjoy each day to its fullest! Tomorrow is no guarantee.

I do my best to not worry about things I can't control. Initially I went through all of the stages of grief. I was angry " why me? I always took care of myself.. " Stress took a lot of my energy and didn't change anything. I then started focusing on the positive things in my life (family, friends, etc.).

Though life may not be as I had hoped, I know I'm still extremely lucky in so many ways and much better off than some.

Though difficult at times, I do my best to stay positive and consider issues that come along, as road bumps. How can I get around it?

God is great and a positive outlook and faith helps tremendously ๐Ÿ™

Wishing everyone good health and all the best always ๐Ÿ˜€

September 5, 2022
  • I am a newbie in this whole process since I was recently told that i need a kidney. I spent every day at some point crying. I still have my moments but after speaking to my neighborhood walking friend who had a kidney transplant year ago it was to me like WOW. I would have never guessed it. She is an older person but so full of life and spunk. I am more appreciative of each day I have on this earth. It is never promised to us but I keep a positive outlook. I am expecting a granddaughter in October and am hoping to spend many many years watching her grow.

September 5, 2022

I absolutely love this! I feel like my story resonates so much with yours. I definitely had to learn how to process through grief, but I also believe in the healing power of positivity. Those are such beautiful lessons you shared.

September 5, 2022

That's amazing. I had a lady at church that I found out had had a kidney transplant when I was diagnosed. She's now had her kidney for over 20 years and is such a good example for me too. I think it's really powerful to know that the future can be really great, especially after getting devasting health news. Thanks for sharing!

September 5, 2022
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I have been able to listen more, I cherish each and everything in life, it can be taken away from us, as I learned on my TP journey. Like you said I have learned to let stress go, surround myself around positive people. Say I love u to your family/friends hug them close.

Shelby I am in complete awe with the human body also.

God has blessed me with this new life and I choose to do my best to take care of it. It’s a continuous process.

I thank my donor family/TP team.

hugs/love to all of u on this journey๐Ÿ’šโค๏ธ๐Ÿฆ‹

September 5, 2022

I love those lessons! What a beautiful journey of healing and love.

September 6, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

This is such a great question! I've learned so much in this transplant journey. I never thought I was as strong as I was, that I could handle as much as I have. It's given me an entirely new understanding of the relationship between life and death.

Transplant reminds me of how Glennon Doyle describes crisis. It means to sift, and in the end what you're left with are the things that really matter. That's what transplant life has done for me. It gave me the opportunity to examine what I want out of life, where I want to be, what I want to do. It has demanded more from me in every single area, and demanded that I don't go back to mediocrity or complacency. Once you're awake to life, you can't just go back to sleep.

And along with all the positives, I've also learned people say incredibly stupid, insensitive things, that we are attracted to crisis and use other people's drama to feel better about ourselves, that a lot of people really didn't care and just wanted attention and that another person's problems are a really great distraction so you don't have to work on your own ๐Ÿ˜‚

September 6, 2022