General — TransplantLyfe

General

Evushield

ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient
September 19, 2022 in General

Hi friends. I had my injection in April and they said to get it every 6 months. Has anyone gotten a second round? I’ll be due for mine in October, but no one has reached out from my center. I’m messaging my provider now, but I was curious about others’ experiences. Thanks!

Tagged:

1 - 23 of 23 Replies

• RogerTransplant Patient

I received my injection in May and a couple of months later they call to see how I was doing and said they would be calling me in November for my second dose. I'm sure that your transplant team can help you.

Good luck

September 19, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I haven't even gotten one. Protocol is a little different here in Canada, and I'd have to travel upwards of 5 hours if I wanted one. I've talked to my transplant team, and just with the lifestyle I live and my other risk factors, I'm not the best candidate. We've been really lucky that both my husband and I have avoided Covid thus far, and are both getting another booster later this month (I have no idea if the boosters are similar in the US, but this one has shown really promising results here in Canada)

September 19, 2022
  • PoisonRose21Transplant Patient

My Evusheld was two shots..one in each butt cheek. I got the first set in January and they said we'd get a second set a month later. This clinic was set up with the hospital's pharmacy for a Saturday. I have not gotten another set since, but I do get COVID boosters every six months. I'm due for one this month.

Was it your transplant team that said you'd need the Evusheld every 6 months? Different hospitals have different protocols for maintenance of immunization.

September 19, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

@PoisonRose21 yes, it was my transplant center that said that. That’s so interesting about the different protocols. They told me they had been giving the first shots, but that the research showed they needed to inject more, so they had to call everyone back a second time. By the time I got mine, they were giving a higher dose and said I’d get another dose in October.

It’s interesting watching the science being studied right in front of our eyes 🤣🤣

September 19, 2022
  • PoisonRose21Transplant Patient

@Shelbycreates With us being the unfortunate guinea pig in this case. My center was one who, back then, only received a limited number of doses. It was done as a lottery drawing. Those who got it were able to get the two sets of shots back then. I'm not sure if it's widely available now, but all the better given that's a direct dose of the antibodies and not a COVID shot that helps build a small defense.

September 19, 2022
  • MJK15Transplant Patient

It was my local nephrologist who located Evusheld for me both in March and earlier this month. My transplant center had limited doses earlier this year and is 2.5 hours away. I live in a rural area and for the first dose I had to drive 1.5 hours north to get it. It was so nice to only have a 25 minute drive for this second dose earlier this month. I had no problems with either dose. I was tired with the first dose but that might have been from all of the driving.

September 19, 2022
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I as a transplant patient am very afraid of injecting these meds into my body at this time. I have not had any, never had the flu shot and so far I have not had Covid. I feel it’s a personal choice.

September 19, 2022
  • A_RayTransplant Patient

I've had all of the booster and Evusheld, with no issues. In fact, I was accidentally exposed to COVID and I only felt crappy for a few days. I feel that it kept me from getting a bad case. I will get the boosters and another Evusheld in October. You're playing Russian roulette if you don't.

September 19, 2022

Like I said it’s a personal choice. I feel my Dad would still be w/me if he had not received the Covid vaccine. I think the vaccine affects our bodies different.

September 19, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I agree with you! I think there are so many variables, and the feelings of absolutes on both sides make it harder for people to actually make informed decisions about what is best for them.

September 19, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I agree with you! I think there are so many variables, and the feelings of absolutes on both sides make it harder for people to actually make informed decisions about what is best for them.

September 19, 2022

That's good to hear! Thanks. I put in a message with my team.

September 19, 2022

That's awesome. I drove 3 hours to my center because they had access to the shot in Michigan, but not Ohio. 5 hours is a real commitment! Especially if you're not a great candidate. With my lifestyle, I am around a lot of people, so I'm glad to have this option. Thanks for the reply!

September 19, 2022

That is nice the drive is closer. My first one I did the 3 hour drive each way in a day. I was just glad to get it! I'm hoping to plan it better the next time so I can enjoy my time seeing old friends when I get it. I also didn't have any reaction. I just felt so grateful that there was a treatment I had access to!

September 19, 2022
  • AmberortizTransplant Patient

I agree with you. It is definitely a very personal choice. It didn't feel right for me. I did get covid, but my case was very mild like a cold. I totally understand where you are coming from.

September 20, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

We need a love button on TL! I love that this is being talked about, that you're making the best choice FOR YOU!

September 20, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

The latest guidance from the CDC is linked. Most centers are recommending that recent transplanted folks be given Evusheld (300 mg strength), repeated every six months. Some centers are even telling people to get them every 90 days.

As transplant recipients, we have an obligation to ourselves, to our families and very importantly; we need to do whatever it takes to honor the amazing Donor Hero & Donor Families for making the #giftoflife possible for us.

We need to be & STAY COMPLIANT & do everything that is asked of us, by our care team/transplant team professionals.

Covid has been a beast and continues to be an annoying disrupter & destroyer of life, as we've known it!

I still hear about fellow recipients being infected & I'm still hearinh of deaths within the transplant community! By this point, it's a well known fact that all who are unvaccinated/boosted are at a greater risk of potentially succumbing to the beast!

Let's protect ourselves and our Gift's of Life and get through this!

September 20, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

thanks for caring enough to share. Everybody should definitely talk to their own medical teams and make the best decision for themselves. Despite having all recieved transplants, we're all so different, and our medical care and treatment plans will also be different. we're all doing the best we can.

September 20, 2022

I agree make your best decision for yourself.. Ty

September 20, 2022
  • RogerTransplant Patient
    September 20, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi everyone! I have not had evushield - at Columbia they don’t give they if you have had boosters and/or had covid recently. Although I agree that evidence points to the need to vaccinate to protect ourselves / it is clearly the choice of the individual - just make sure you protect others if you are not vaccinated and may have covid and around people!

September 22, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

thanks for sharing karin! I remember a lot of discussion going on a while ago about whether or not transplanted individuals actually developed antibodies - have you heard anything more about that?

Definitely agree with making sure others are protected. I still believe wearing masks and washing hands is the best thing we can do to prevent the spread of any disease this cold/flu/covid season

September 22, 2022

I just got a call from my center to schedule my evushield injection. I missed it, so I'll call back next week. But I'm glad that they had me in the cue to call for a reschedule!

September 24, 2022