General — TransplantLyfe

General

Xenotransplant

ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient
September 22, 2022 in General

I don't know if you caught it last night, but there was a fascinating discussion about xenotransplants last night here on TransplantLyfe (it's in the education tab). The doctor who talked about it was sharing how they genetically modify pigs to help them be suitable donors for potential human trials. He talked about how heart transplants would be the organ to lead the way, since it was more simple as just a pump, while kidneys and livers were more difficult to match the function of a human. I'm really interested to hear more about this work.

What do you think about xenotransplants? Do you think it would be a good way to help people to get the organs they need because of the massive shortages? Did you see the webinar last night?

Tagged:

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I was really fascinated when he was talking about why we can't (or don't yet) use livers in xenotransplantation. As someone who was transplanted for 1 missing enzyme that created a whole host of other problems, I know how important every single one of those enzymes is.

The other thing that interested me was when he talked about how xenotransplants used to be the standard way back when due to ethical concerns using human to human transplants. Now I hear so much about the ethical concerns of xenotransplants.

I have a lot of feelings regarding xenotransplants, but I'm intrigued to learn more as new science comes forward regarding this

September 22, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

Right? It's so funny how our perceptions change towards what is or isn't ethical.

I was really surprised when they said that multiple enzymes don't match up for xenotransplants in livers and that one enzyme issue can lead to an entire organ transplant.

Bodies are seriously fascinating.

September 24, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

as someone who knows how devestating one missing enzyme can be, i totally get it 😅 I never would have thought that though, but it totally makes sense. Every time i think about it, it reminds me of just how much of a miracle is that any of us are here at all. One tiny enzyme missing and the entire thing is thrown off. Everything has to align so perfectly and the body has to work together in such harmony for humans to stay alive,

September 26, 2022