General — TransplantLyfe

General

Were you put on weight restrictions like Shelby?

AnnMarieCare Partner
January 5, 2023 in General

A great reel from our own @Shelbycreates

Being put on a weight restriction of lifting only 5 pounds when you have a one year old is no easy task to take on, nor is it easy to explain to a little one either. Having a strong support system after getting a transplant is so important.

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• Yes! And it really is the hardest thing EVER! After donating part of my liver to my son, I was put on a 10 pound max weight lifting limit for 3 months, which was not enough weight to be able to pick him up or carry him at the time. It was all in the name of healing, but it was so hard to go visit him in the hospital and not be able to pick him up.

I did talk to the doctor about it and after about 6 weeks I was able to hold him so long as I didn't have to lift the weight. I was able to transfer the weight. Does that make sense? I could take him out of the crib at the hospital and stand while holding him and then put him back. I was not able to sit down and stand up holding him or pick him up off the ground.

Again, all in the name of healing without further complications but it was an extremely difficult time.

January 5, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I wasn't after my liver transplant surgery (though by the time I was awake and physically able to even sit up it was over a month later) but I was (and still am) after my abdominal surgery. We don't have small kiddos at home, nor do I have a physically demanding job so it hasn't been that bad. What I've found harder is the no bending/twisting. I never realized how much I move through my core throughout the day. My glutes have been getting a good work out from all the squats though!

January 5, 2023
  • @AliEm14 right?! Through my donation I have a scar right up the middle of my stomach. My abs were literally cut apart from between the lower breast down about an ich past my naval.

Those hospital beds were wonderful. I niavely tried to sit up after donation and it was the worst pain of my life! Once i got home I literally rolled out of bed every morning and rolled back in when it was bedtime.

Way to get strong legs with those squats!!

January 5, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

Oh my goodness. I didn't even think about that April! I couldn't carry Zeke, but he had not just gone through surgery. That must have been hard for your mama heart. Love you girl!

January 7, 2023

How much longer are you on a weight restriction? And yes to the bending and twisting! Sometimes it's so hard to tell the difference between healing and hurting sensations!

January 7, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm still waiting to hear from my surgeon! At least a few more weeks. I was able to shift from 5 pounds to 20 pounds at 6 weeks, but I still find myself really hesitant to lift most things

January 9, 2023
    January 12, 2023