General — TransplantLyfe

General

International Transplant Recipients

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
February 10, 2023 in General

Who here is outside the US? I know there's a few of us!

Transplant culture seems to be so different outside the states. I'm curious - what country do you live in and how was your transplant experience?

I was transplanted in Canada in 2020, and while our healthcare system isn't perfect here, I can't imagine being anywhere else. I've noticed such an amazing culture of transplantation, donation and research here.

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient
    February 10, 2023
  • AfifaTransplant Patient

Hello @AliEm14 , i was transplanted in Pakistan. I think patients themselves have to be very cautious and they should their own research beforehand.

February 10, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I don't know much about what transplant care, or healthcare in general, looks like in Pakistan. I'm excited to learn from you!

February 10, 2023
  • RobTransplant Patient

I live in the central coast of NSW in Australia. I am 13 months since transplant and have become an forever grateful recipient and passionate Organ and Tissue Donation and Transplant Awareness Advocate.

www.TransplantAdvocacy.com

I have worked every day since leaving hospital to engage politicians, media, administrators and NGOs to make a difference.

February 11, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I am Swedish and would love to learn about the Swedish system / I was lucky to be transplanted in the US, but know care is excellent in many European countries such as Spain, France and of course the Nordics.

February 11, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Rob i’d love to hear more about your experiences! How did you find your transplant experience? I have a lot of friends in Australia who have shared their experiences with me, and I’ve heard a lot of positives surrounding the transplant surgery and post transplant care.

I’m also going to check out your organization because that sounds amazing! In terms of advocacy, what do you find is the biggest thing you’re advocating for?

February 11, 2023
  • RobTransplant Patient

i am the luckiest person alive. My story if I ever wrote it would be titled “I didn’t feel sick, the day I nearly died.”

https://www.transplantadvocacy.com/post/a-christmas-miracle

My current focus is Next of Kin Consent in Australia. Although my advocacy is for three main things.

* legislative change

* education at all levels and

* communications.

I hope you find the story interesting and the information informative.

I just want everyone to have the same opportunity I have had.

February 11, 2023
  • AklowakTransplant Patient

I am also Canadian, my transplant was from my spouse and the entire experience from starting the approval and matching process was 13 months- I was approved for transplant on may 12 2021 and received my transplant on June 15 2023. I am in several support groups with women from the UK and Denmark and it’s very different in many ways there as well. Such as the medical examinations and other metrics they need to measure before transplant surgery can be approved for them bs what I had to do in Canada.

February 14, 2023