Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

CrossFit with Chronic Kidney Disease

andresfalcoTransplant Patient
Updated May 25, 2023 in Kidney

Hey everyone in the TransplantLyfe community!

I'm Andrés, and I wanted to share a little bit about myself with all of you. I'm a chronic kidney disease warrior currently rockin' the dialysis journey. But guess what? I'm all about spreading the message that you can totally be healthy while dealing with a chronic condition.

So, here's the deal. I had the incredible opportunity to receive a kidney transplant that worked like a champ for a solid two and a half years. Along the way, I've learned so much about taking care of my body and truly understanding its needs. It's been a wild ride, my friends!

But here's the real game-changer. I discovered the awesomeness of CrossFit! Yeah, you heard that right. This workout routine has been a total game-changer for me. Not only has it transformed my physical strength, but it has also given me mental clarity and a major boost of confidence. It's like magic, I'm telling you!

I'd love for all of you to join me on Instagram (@nokidney.noexcuses) and get to know me better. That's where I share all my experiences, insights, and the ups and downs of living that healthy life with chronic kidney disease. But wait, there's more! I want to hear from each and every one of you. Drop a comment and tell me about your own experiences with sports and exercise. Let's swap stories, talk about challenges, and celebrate those epic victories together!

Remember, my friends, nothing can hold us back when we have the right mindset and an incredible community like this one. Let's show the world that we're living our best lives!

Can't wait to connect with all of you amazing people.

Stay strong !

Tagged:

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

This is such a great message @andresfalco

Thanks for sharing

I always talked about getting involved in CrossFit post transplant and am way too nervous to actually try it (any tips?) I have started calisthenics and weight lifting as well as running post transplant, which has been a huge switch from not being able to handle any activity pre transplant.

we have so many amazing athletes in our community, and they really inspired me to get moving post transplant

May 25, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Great post and initiative @andresfalco ! After my first kidney I got myself back in shape through core fusion and this time I am working out by walking and playing tennis! Soon I will be running and doing more weights but have to wait until my incision heals properly!

May 26, 2023
  • andresfalcoTransplant Patient

Hi Ali !

Starting or returning to CrossFit after a kidney transplant requires careful consideration and collaboration with your healthcare team. Here are some tips to help you embark on this exciting fitness adventure:

1. Prioritize Communication: Before beginning any exercise program, it's crucial to consult with your transplant team and discuss your intentions. They can provide personalized recommendations based on your medical history, current condition, and individual needs.
    2. Start Gradually: Begin your CrossFit journey with a gradual and progressive approach. Focus on building a solid foundation by mastering proper form and technique before increasing intensity. Gradual progression allows your body to adapt, minimizing the risk of injury.
    3. Listen to Your Body: Pay close attention to how your body feels during and after workouts. If you experience any discomfort, pain, or unusual symptoms, it's important to communicate with your healthcare team promptly. They can guide you on whether modifications or adjustments are needed.
    4. Hydrate and Rest: Adequate hydration is essential for anyone, but it's particularly crucial for kidney health. Stay well-hydrated before, during, and after your CrossFit sessions. Additionally, ensure you prioritize rest and recovery to allow your body to heal and adapt to the demands of exercise.
    5. Focus on Strength Training: CrossFit incorporates various exercises that target strength and muscular development. Engaging in regular strength training can help improve your overall muscle tone and function, which can have a positive impact on your overall health and well-being.

Remember, everyone's journey is unique, and what works for one person may not be suitable for another. Be patient, celebrate your progress, and don't compare yourself to others. Your commitment to your health is admirable, and with proper guidance and precautions, CrossFit can be a rewarding and enjoyable part of your post-transplant life.

Take care !

May 26, 2023
  • andresfalcoTransplant Patient

Hello Karin, thanks a lot for your welcome ! Congratulations on taking such proactive steps to get back in shape and prioritize your health. Core fusion, walking, and playing tennis are all excellent activities that contribute to your overall fitness. It's great to see that you're gradually progressing towards incorporating running and more weight training into your routine.

It's important to listen to your body and allow your incision to heal properly before engaging in more intense activities. Taking the time to recover fully will ensure that you can safely and effectively pursue your fitness goals.

Strength training is particularly valuable for individuals who have undergone a transplant. It helps to build and maintain muscle mass, improve bone density, enhance overall strength, and support healthy organ function. As you gradually introduce more weight training into your regimen, be sure to work closely with your healthcare team to ensure that you're following the appropriate guidelines and avoiding any potential risks.

Keep up the fantastic work, and remember to pace yourself and prioritize your well-being throughout your fitness journey. Your dedication to staying active and taking care of your health is truly inspiring. Wishing you continued success in your recovery and fitness endeavors!

May 26, 2023