Liver β€” TransplantLyfe

Liver

Hospital life

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
December 17, 2020 in Liver

Hey friends,

after some apparently concerning labs yesterday with elevated liver enzymes I was admitted to the hospital. It’s looking like I’ll need a stent surgery. I’m alone because of Covid, and this is a whole new experience for me.

share with me your tips, tricks, memes, love and support!

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 what a difficult time to have this issue - and I totally get how you must be scared and feel alone but know that you have so many out there who want you to get well fast! Let us know how it goes and how you feel - share and let us help as you go though this. Try to be nice to yourself - allow for treats and set up little rewards - that is how I always dealt w my hospital stays - )

December 17, 2020
  • rimkmrOther

@AliEm14 πŸ’™

December 17, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 so sorry you're going through this! I've been admitted for 9 days during the pandemic, so I understand how it can be lonely. I tried to look at the positives and think of it as an opportunity to really rest, catch up on sleep and prioritize my recovery without having to focus on entertaining visitors. If you're able to walk around, I found chatting with the nurses to help pass the time too.

December 18, 2020
  • DebTransplant Patient

I too was hospitalized in August of this year. I know it’s very depressing being alone but my phone was my lifesaver. I FaceTimed and talked to family and friends all day and kept my husband updated every few hours. Hope you feel better soon! I’m sure the staff will help you all they can. Best of luck. February 2020

February 14, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Deb i agree, so grateful for technology.

I’ve also found having something to do with my hands, like play dough or easy colouring books, helps too. The more sensory stimulation I can get that isn’t hospital related the better I seem to do

February 15, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

When I had my transplant I was more prepared and I took magazines and I love Saduku puzzles too. But when you get admitted unexpectedly it’s hard. But I love the coloring idea I do that some now just to relax.

February 15, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I was so prepared for my actual transplant admission - and then I ended up in the ICU and was asleep almost the whole time! I didn't realize how exhausted I would be right after transplant, and the only thing I did was eat, do my therapies and sleep. Every time before that one when I've been in the hospital I've been so sick that all I wanted to do was sleep, so it was really strange feeling relatively ok and being in the hospital. For the first time I actually felt bored, and like I had nothing to do!

February 16, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

I would take boredom over feeling bad any day. Haha My first week was rough but I was so lucky to have friends and family with most every day and that keep me going. Mine was pre Covid, thank God!! I hope you’re doing well and no more visits in the near future.

February 17, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I think it’s kind of ironic we had this discussion right before I was hospitalized again. I spent the first few days really sick and just slept all the time. I was also in isolation until my Covid test came back (negative!). When I did start improving I started doing short walks. I also have a hospital care kit my husband was able to bring to me. I also found I really enjoy people watching in the hospital. Especially in the ER. Now that I’m on the transplant floor again I see people in the same place I was 6 months ago just learning to walk again so I’ve made signs and I’ll sit in my wheelchair in the doorway and encourage them as they walk past. Sometimes you just need a cheerleader

February 23, 2021